click above for Vlog demonstration and CAHD drinking game ;)yield: about 36 truffles
prep time: 2 hours +
cook time: 30 minutes (plus 20 minutes for cooling)
- 1 package of chocolate sandwich cookies
- 1 8 oz package of softened cream cheese
- 1 T vanilla extract (not imitation, you need a good quality pure extract)
- 1 12 oz package of white chocolate chips (not a bargain brand, go for a higher quality chocolate)
- 1/2 C colored candy melts (found at a craft store or in the arts and crafts section of your supermarket)
- wax paper
- Grind one package of chocolate sandwich cookies (regular, not double stuffed) in a food processor, or by crushing with a rolling pin in a giant zipper bag.
- In a large bowl, combine cookie crumbs, cream cheese and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined (***use your hands for best results)
- Roll into 1" balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan over very low heat (about a three on an electric stove) add chocolate chips, 1/4 of a bag at a time and melt until the temperature reaches 110-115 degrees (if you don't have a thermometer, it is ready when there is a nice gloss to it).
- Remove chocolate from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Return to heat and stir frequently and bring the temperature to 80 degrees (if you have no thermometer, when it is smooth and silky).
- Place a tooth pick in the center of each truffle ball, and coat using the method shown in the vlog.
- Work with 6 truffles at a time, keeping the rest in the freezer to ensure they are properly frozen when you coat them with the chocolate. (**tip: I remove the chocolate from the heat every third truffle and then return it to the heat after doing the next three to prevent the chocolate from seizing)
- Remove toothpicks and "paint" the tops with the remaining chocolate, painting over any imperfections.
- Return truffles to the freezer for at least 20 minutes.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat the candy melts in the microwave on defrost for 3 minutes. Stir. Continue heating until melted, checking and stirring the chocolate at one minute intervals (typically 5-6 minutes total).
- Drizzle melted chocolate over truffles using the method shown in the vlog.
- Return to the freezer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Place the finished truffles in mini cupcake tins and store in an air tight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- Serve at room temperature.
NOTE: PERISHABLE, MUST BE REFRIGERATED.